laparoscopy and Fibroid surgeon in Bangalore

Emergency Number

+91 98806 30811

Sunday : Emergency Only

Mon to Sat : 5:00 P.M to 8:00 P.M

Dermoid cyst ovary

Dermoid cyst ovary-bizarre type of thick-walled cyst typically contains a variety of tissues including hair, teeth, bone, thyroid, nail etc develops in the ovary, usually noncancerous. These growths are common in a woman during reproductive years. They can cause torsion, infection, rupture, and cancer. A dermoid cyst develops from a totipotential germ cell (a primary oocyte) that is retained within the egg sac (ovary) which can mature to all types of cells and form hair, bone, neural tissue etc. They grow from few cm to as big as 15 cm. The large majority (about 98%) of these tumors are benign, the remaining fraction (about 2%) becomes cancerous (malignant).

Symptoms of dermoid cyst

Most of them do not have any symptoms, symptoms include

  • Abdominal pain with radiation to legs
  • Abnormal vaginal bleeding.
  • Difficulties in urinating if the cyst puts pressure on the bladder.
  • If it undergoes torsion severe pain abdomen with nausea and vomiting

Diagnosis of dermoid ovarian cyst

As most cysts are asymptomatic they are diagnosed when patient has routine health check or Ultrasound for some other problem.

Treatment for ovarian dermoid cyst

Depends on size, symptoms and age of the patient.we take decision to remove only cyst called as cystectomy or removal of ovary called oophorectomy.

Leave a Reply




Click one of our contacts below to chat on WhatsApp

× Chat With Us